Take refuge in a designated storm shelter, or an interior room for high winds. If trapped in a building by flooding, go to the highest level of the building. Do not climb into a closed attic. You may become trapped by rising flood water.
Where do you go during a cyclone?
WHEN THE CYCLONE STRIKES
Stay inside and shelter (well clear of windows) in the strongest part of the building, i.e. cellar, internal hallway or bathroom. Keep evacuation and emergency kits with you.
Where do you seek shelter in a cyclone?
Your local council should be able to provide information about your nearest cyclone emergency shelter. However, if you find yourself at home during a cyclone, stay indoors and take shelter in the strongest room of the house away from windows – usually a hallway, bathroom or basement.
How do you stay safe in a cyclone?
What to do during a cyclone
- Stay tuned to cyclone alerts and use the time before the cyclone hits to make your safety preparations.
- Take shelter in the strongest part of the house such as a stairwell, the bathroom or hallway – away from doors and windows.
Where do you sleep during a hurricane?
The second-best place to be during a hurricane is an interior room, such as a closet or bathroom, on the first floor of your home. Even if the storm seems to have calmed down and dissipated outside, stay inside because it may be the calm eye of the storm.
How do you prepare a house for a cyclone?
Get organised and save or store important personal documents
- Turn off all electricity, gas and water; unplug all appliances.
- Clear your property of small loose items and secure any larger items.
- Make sure shutters are closed or use packing tape on your windows to hold any broken glass in place.
How do Cyclones travel?
Tropical cyclones in both the Northern and Southern Hemispheres tend to move westward and drift slowly poleward. … Surface winds in the tropics, known as the trade winds, blow from east to west, and they are responsible for the general westward motion of tropical cyclones.
What should you not do during a cyclone?
Cyclones can bring heavy rain and widespread flooding to your region. Never drive, ride or walk through floodwaters. Do not go sightseeing. Check on your neighbours, family and friends.
How do you handle a cyclone disaster?
Cyclone Disaster Management
- Construction of a steep-slope roof to avoid the risk of being blown away.
- Anchoring strong posts with solid footings on the ground.
- Plantations of trees at a safe distance from the house to help break the wind forces.
- Repair of the shelters before time.
What should you do in the event of a cyclone?
During a cyclone
- Stay tuned to warnings (keep a battery-powered radio in your emergency kit).
- Activate your emergency plan.
- Stay inside and shelter well clear of windows, doors and skylights.
- Don’t use a landline telephone or taps during a severe storm as lightning can travel down phone lines and plumbing.
How do you face a cyclone?
Watch that the dividers, rooftop and overhang of your house are secure. Trim treetops and branches well away from your home. Ideally fit shades, or possibly metal screens, to all glass zones. Away from property of free material that could blow about and conceivably cause injury or harm during extraordinary breezes.
What will you do before during and after a cyclone?
Prepare with disaster supplies such as flashlight and extra batteries, candles, first aid kit and manual, emergency dry food items and drinking water, essential medicines, cash and credit cards and sturdy shoes.
Why do you fill bathtub during hurricane?
If a hurricane is likely in your area, you should:
Fill the bathtub with water to be used for toilet flushing during a loss of power. If your well is flooded or damaged by the hurricane, assume that it is contaminated and do not use it until it has been flushed, disinfected and tested for bacteria.
Where is the safest place to be during a thunderstorm?
The safest location during a thunderstorm is inside a large enclosed structure with plumbing and electrical wiring. These include shopping centers, schools, office buildings, and private residences.
How can kids stay safe during a hurricane?
DURING A HURRICANE:
- Stay away from low-lying and flood prone areas.
- Always stay indoors during a hurricane, because strong winds will blow things around.
- Leave mobile homes and to go to a shelter.
- If your home isn’t on higher ground, go to a shelter.
- If emergency managers say to evacuate, then do so immediately.